The Banting Postdoctoral fellowship is provided for the students who are taking into account research scholarships and given below the sharing the specifications related to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023. We will also share with you all these specifications related to the eligibility criteria that you need to follow to apply for the scholarship scheme presented by the organization. You can also check out the selection and application online procedure for this fellowship program.
About Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023
Banting postdoctoral fellowship is provided for students who want to Undertaker research in various Universities in Canada and this scholarship is especially available for students who are taking into account post-doctoral education at the University of Canada. You can easily apply for this scholarship because 70 fellowships are available annually for concerned students and around 140 awards are actively present at the organization at any given point in time. The main objective of this fellowship program is to attract top-tier doctoral talent from the National and international levels and also it will help them develop their leadership potential. Incentives will be provided to the people so that they can take into account research for the future.
Also Read: MPOWER Global Citizen Scholarship
|Applicants seek endorsement from the host institution to apply, prepare and submit an application (institutions may have internal deadlines).
|Deadline for complete application submission
|Evaluation of applications
|Anticipated notification of results. Applicants will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.
The applicant must follow the following eligibility criteria to apply for this scholarship:-
- Applications that do not meet all of the eligibility criteria are ineligible.
- This fellowship is intended for students (including Health Professionals) to complete a degree.
- Applicant Eligibility
- Citizenship and location of the host institution
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- The applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Eligibility Window For Degree Completion
- Applicants to the 2023 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree:
- between September 15, 2019, and September 30, 2023 (inclusively), and
- before the start date of their award.
- Applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must submit proof no later than October 15, 2023.
- For applicants who have completed more than one Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree, the eligibility window applies to the most recent of these degrees.
- Allowable Extensions To Eligibility Window
- The window of eligibility could extend by a cumulative maximum of three years if the applicant had their career interrupted by extenuating circumstances, such as parental leave, illness, health-related family responsibilities, mandatory military service, disruptions due to war, civil conflicts, and/or natural disasters in the country of residence, socio-economic reasons/lack of research opportunities, pandemic-related reasons, etc. It will only extend by the duration of the eligible delay(s)/interruption(s).
- Additionally, for health professionals who have engage in post-degree non-research-related clinical training (e.g., residency), the eligibility window can extend by the duration of this training.
- For other professions that require post-degree, non-research-related training to be certified by a professional body, please consult the Vanier-Banting Secretariat to confirm whether an extension to the eligibility window is allowable.
- Interruptions used to extend the eligibility window for degree completion must have occurred after the fulfillment of your degree requirements and before the application submission deadline.
- Justification must be provided in the Special Circumstances attachment.
- “Fulfilled all requirements of the degree” refers to the date that the applicant completed all the steps required for obtaining their degree. Although these requirements may vary by institution and degree type, they normally include thesis defense corrections and thesis deposition. Note that convocation is not considered a degree requirement.
- Host Institution Eligibility
- Institutions eligible to host a Banting postdoctoral researcher include Canadian and foreign universities, affiliated research hospitals, colleges, and not-for-profit organizations with a strong research mandate and capacity.
- Canadian governments (federal, provincial, municipal) and all for-profit organizations are not eligible to participate as host institutions.
- Questions regarding institutional eligibility should direct o the Vanier-Banting Secretariat well in advance of the submission deadline.
- Other Eligibility Restrictions
- Applicants who currently hold or have held agency-specific (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) awards at the postdoctoral level are eligible to apply to the 2023 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program only if the term of that funding officially ends on or before September 30, 2023, and before the start of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship. Early termination of the agency-specific postdoctoral award for application to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is not permitted.
- Applicants can apply for both the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program and other agency-specific postdoctoral fellowships programs (whether to the same or a different federal granting agency) at the same time, provided that the research proposed in each application falls within the mandate of the federal granting agency to which the application is submitted. For more information, please refer to Identify an area of research.
- Applicants must not hold a tenure-track or tenured faculty position, nor can they be on leave from such a position. Generally, “tenure or tenure-track” refers to an open-ended academic position in which the holder can form a research group, apply for externally funded research as a principal investigator, and teach.
- Only in rare circumstances will a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship be awarded to an applicant who is staying at the same institution or within the same research environment where they completed their Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree. If an applicant chooses to apply in collaboration with the same institution (or its affiliated hospitals, research centers, and other laboratories) or within the same research environment from which they obtained their Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree, a solid justification must be provided in the Special Circumstances attachment.
- Applicants can submit only one application per competition year to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program.
- Without exception, Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships:
- are tenable only at the institution that supported the original application for the program;
- must be taken up no earlier than April 1st and no later than October 1st following the year of application;
- are for two years;
- cannot be held concurrently with another tri-agency training award, and
- can only be held once in a lifetime.
The following rewards will be provided to the fellowship program available by the concerned authorities:-
- $70,000 per year (taxable) as an incentive
- Duration- 2 years (non-renewable)
- 70 fellowships are available annually and 140 awards are active at any given point of time with this organization.
Areas Of Research
The fellowship will you provided only to the people who are taking into account the following areas of research:-
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and/or humanities
Also Read: Dalhousie University Scholarships
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 Application Process
To apply for this fellowship program you will have to follow the simple procedure given below:-
- Applicants must contact institutions/supervisors that they think will be a good fit for them and their research and confirm that the desired institution is eligible to host a Banting postdoctoral researcher.
- Applicants are responsible for establishing these connections.
- Many institutions have a page dedicated to this program on their websites.
- Applicants already affiliated with the proposed host institution must justify remaining in the same research environment
- Applications must do in full collaboration with the potential host institution.
- Applicants must be endorsed by the institution’s president (equivalent or designated).
- To select the most meritorious applicants for endorsement, many institutions have their internal deadlines.
- Applicants are responsible for supplying their proposed institution and referees with the documents necessary for them to write their respective letters.
- From the outset of the application process, applicants and their host institution should discuss:
- the details of the fellowship appointment
- and any established research-related policies and protocols (e.g., protocols for conducting research involving the First Nations, Inuit, and Métis Peoples of Canada; approvals for research involving the use of humans, animals, or biohazards)
- The applicant and supervisor must carefully consider which selection committee should review the application.
- The host institution must provide the applicant with two documents that will be included in the application. Applicants are responsible for uploading the documents to ResearchNet as part of their complete application submission.
- Register for Canadian Common CV (CCV) account, and ResearchNet account, and complete the Equity and Diversity Questionnaire
- Make sure you have the following or click the links to register:-
- ResearchNet account – a web-based application tool and funding opportunity/decision database that is used by the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program
- CIHR PIN – unique personal identifier required to apply for this program
- CCV account – a web-based tool that allows you to manage your CV data in a single repository and generate CVs as needed for all member organizations.
- Equity and Diversity Questionnaire – Completion of the Equity and Diversity Questionnaire is mandatory for all application participants. The Equity and Diversity Questionnaire must be completed before the deadline.
- Create CCV (Vanier-Banting academic template) and link to the ResearchNet application
- You must create a Vanier-Banting academic CCV on the Canadian Common CV (CCV) website and link it to your ResearchNet application.
- Free-form CVs are not accepted. A CCV is required regardless of the citizenship of the applicant.
- Start a ResearchNet application
- After launching an application in ResearchNet, you will be presented with the ResearchNet login screen. If you log in using your ResearchNet account, you will arrive at the main Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships application menu. This menu lists a series of tasks that must be completed before you can submit your application. Information on how to complete these tasks is provided in the sections below.
- You should only have one Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships application. If you have already started an application, log in to your ResearchNet account.
- You will find your Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships application in the Current Activities tab under the Applications heading. Clicking on it will bring you to the main Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships application tasks list.
- Identify an area of research
- The Proposed Field of Research serves to determine to which selection committee your application will be assigned. Applications related to health research will be channeled to the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) selection committee, those related to natural sciences and/or engineering to the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) selection committee, and those related to social sciences and/or humanities will go to the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) selection committee.
- Identify participants
- In this task, you will enter information about yourself (including a CIHR PIN, if not auto-populated) and the institution you are affiliated with at the time of application. You must also input the confirmation number of the CV you created in the Canadian Common CV system to link your CV to your Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships application.
- Under this task, you will attach the following documents:-
- Significance of research contributions
- Significance of leadership contributions
- Fulfillment of degree requirements form
- Special circumstances
- Identify referees
- This task seeks to collect information on the three referees whose assessments will accompany the application. Note that when referees are identified, the language specified will determine the language in which they will receive their assessment form; the assessments must be completed in either English or French.
- Applicants should contact their selected referees to seek their assessment well in advance of the applicant’s deadline date. For each referee, applicants are required to enter their name and contact information and to set the deadline date by which the assessments must be submitted through ResearchNet
- ResearchNet will then send two email requests to the referees, providing them with a secure link for completing their assessment. Referees must complete the various sections of the assessment online. They will not be able to upload documents to ResearchNet or submit their assessments offline.
- Applicants can manage the deadline by which referees must submit their assessments. By default, the Assessment Required Deadline in ResearchNet is set for two days before the applicant’s deadline. However, applicants can adjust this to any date before the applicant’s deadline. It is the applicant’s responsibility to follow up with referees to ensure the assessments are submitted in sufficient time before the applicant’s deadline. Applicants will be able to follow the status of the assessment under this task and are encouraged to follow up with the referees if the task is not completed shortly before the deadline.
- Applicants will not be able to submit their applications until this task is completed. Before the application submission deadline, applicants can delete a referee from the list and add a new one, if needed.
- Once an assessment is submitted, it will automatically attach to the application. Applicants do not have access to the content of the assessment submitted by referees.
- Enter degree information
- This task seeks to collect information on your Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree.
- Enter proposal information and supporting documents
- Review your application. If a task is incomplete, you must provide the missing information to successfully submit your application.
- Consent and submit an application
- You must indicate your consent to the terms listed in ResearchNet before you submit your application.
- You must click Submit to send your application to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program. If you performed this task correctly, you will receive an email entitled “Successful Submission – Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program / Soumission acceptée – Programme de bourses postdoctoral Banting.” No further confirmation will be provided.
- Ensure the attached documents meet presentation standards
- All attachments to your application must prepare according to the standards. Applications submit that is not prepared according to the instructions provided may be ineligible.
- If you have supporting documents written in a language other than English or French, you are required to submit a certified translation of these documents.
If you want to check the fellowship results then you will have to follow the simple procedure given below:-
- You will first have to visit the Banting Postdoctoral website of the Banting postdoctoral fellowship by clicking given here
- The home page will open on your screen.
- You have to click on the option called Results present on the menu bar
- A drop-down menu will open on your screen and the various financial years will open on your screen
- You have to click on the year of your choice.
- A new page will open on your screen and the list of awardees will display on the screen according to the department.
- You can check out your name by clicking on your department.