Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship is designed for Indians to pursue a master’s degree program at select U.S colleges and universities in the areas of arts and culture management including Heritage conservation and museum studies, economics, environmental science, and Higher education administration. This article will contain all information about the Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship. We will make sure that you will get brief information about the benefits, eligibility criteria, important dates, documents that are required for filling out the application form, and the objective of this fellowship. This scholarship is mainly to motivate individuals who demonstrate leadership quality, have completed the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree, have at least 3 years of professional work experience, and are committed to returning and contributing to their communities. The Fellowship is for 6 to 9 months.
About Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship
The United States-India Educational Foundation launched various fellowships having different criteria. Among all those fellowships, the Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship is the one designed for Indian Scholars who are registered for a Ph.D. at an Indian Institute. The applicant will be affiliated with one US host institution for their grant. If an applicant has secured a letter of invitation from a US institution then they must include it as a part of the online application. To get more information about the Fellowship, please check the full article
Also Check: Sir Ratan Tata Post Doctoral Fellowship
.Key Highlights of Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship
|Conducted by||United States India Foundation|
|Name of fellowship||Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship|
|Purpose||An opportunity for students who pursue Ph.D. in India or a US institution|
|Benefits||Visa support and a monthly stipend|
|Renewability||One Time Payment|
|International students Eligible||Yes|
|No. Of scholarship||N/A|
|Application deadline||July 15, 2022|
Objective of Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship
The name Fellowship is named after J Williams Fulbright a politician in the US and another is Pt. Nehru in India. The main aim of this Fellowship is to provide six to nine months of Doctoral Research in US institutions as well as in India. There is a list of subjects that are provided for research. It is an opportunity for Ph.D. scholars to perform research in US Institutes.
Benefits of Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship
The fellows who get selected for Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship will get several benefits.
- The fellowship will provide J-1 visa support, a monthly stipend, an Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines, round-trip economy class air travel, applicable allowances, and modest affiliation fees.
- Selected scholars will have opportunities to audit non-degree courses, conduct research and gain practical work experience in suitable settings in the U.S. No allowances are provided for dependents. The grant is not sufficient to support family members.
To make applicants comfortable with the whole selection process, USIEF offices organize Fulbright mentoring workshops that guide applicants on the elements of a strong application. One can contact the USIEF office in one’s region for information on the mentoring workshops. Selection panels will often use the following criteria to review applications:
- The applicant should have done adequate research in the relevant field.
- This grant is intended for Ph.D. students to conduct research essential to their dissertations/thesis.
- Indian citizen in good health pursuing pre-doctoral research.
- Registered for their Ph.D. at a university in India.
- The applicant has Research experience in the subject-specific field. Should be able to identify the resources in India and the US.
- The applicant must not be residing in the U.S. at the time of applying.
- The thesis submission date should be at least three months later than the Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Fellowship Scholarship date.
- Submit the expected Ph.D. thesis submission date in the Applicant Annexure.
- Must return to India on the completion of the fellowship.
Important Dates of Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship
- July 15, 2022– Application due date for 2023-2024 awards
- Mid-August 2022– Field-specific experts review applications to short-list candidates
- Late September 2022–
USIEF informs the applicants about the review outcome
- Early October 2022– National interviews of short-listed candidates
- End October 2022– USIEF notifies principal and alternate nominees. Nominees take TOEFL.
- December 2022– USIEF forwards applications of recommended candidates to the U.S. for J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approval and placement
- March/April 2023– USIEF notifies finalists
- May/June 2023– Pre-Departure Orientation
- July/August 2023– Pre-academic training in the U.S. (if required)
- August/September 2023– The program begins
- Academic credentials and professional ability
- The merit of the proposed Fulbright project
- Commitment to the community or national service
- Need to conduct research in the U.S.
- Outcomes, Potential Impact, and Benefits
- Potential to contribute as a cultural ambassador (irrespective of specialization)
The review process takes two to three months after the application deadline. For the Interview round, shortlisted applicants must appear for an in-person interview in New Delhi. Recipients of Fulbright Scholarships will be informed through email.
- Academic Transcripts
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Copy of Passport
- English Language Proficiency Test Score like TOEFL
- Experience Abroad
- University References
- Paper presented in Masters or M.Phil
- Awards and Recognition
- Grants and travel plans
A letter of invitation from a U.S. institution must also be included as a part of an online application for Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships.
Also Check: ICSSR Post Doctoral Fellowship
Application Procedure For Fellowship 2023
- For registration, the applicant first visits the Fulbright-Nehru website of the Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship.
- Now you have to click on the “Apply now“ button.
- If you are a new user then you have to create your account by clicking on the create an account button.
- After that, you have to enter your email ID, first name, last name, Birth date, or more details.
- Now you have to fill in all the details in the registration form which are required.
- After filling in all the details click on the submit button for the final submission of the application form.
For any queries contact: email@example.com