Indian Council of Social Science Research ICSSR Post Doctoral Fellowship is to encourage and retain young Indian social science scholars who have completed their pH.D. and want to pursue a regular career in teaching and research. The applicants should have a high potential and promise for conducting full-time research for specific topics and issues. These studies are expected to contribute to theoretical and conceptual advancement in different disciplines, help to generate fieldwork-based empirical data, and contribute towards policymaking.
The broad disciplines of study, within the domain of Social Science, are –
- Social Work
- Social Anthropology
- Cultural Studies
- Socio-Sanskrit Studies
- Socio-Philosophical Studies
- Social Linguistics
- Gender Studies
- Health Studies
- Political Science
- International Studies
- Public Administration
- Diaspora Studies
- National Security and Strategic Studies
- Social Psychology
- Legal Studies
- Social Geography
- Environmental Studies
- Modern Social History
- Media Studies
- Library Science
Indian Council of Social Science Research was established in the year of 1969 by the government of India to promote research in social science in the country. ICSSR provide grants for projects, fellowships, International collaboration, capacity building, survey, publications, etc. to promote research in social science in India.
Documentation center of ICSSR- National Social Science Documentation Centre provides library and information support service to researchers in social science.
ICSSR has developed ICSSR Data Service to serve as a national data service for promoting a powerful research environment through sharing and reuse of data among social science communities in India.
Also Read: Prime Minister Research Fellowship
ICSSR Post Doctoral Fellowship
- ICSSR Post Doctoral Fellowship is a full-time research work.
- The duration of the fellowship is for 2 hours.
- The value of a Post-Doctoral Fellowship is Rs-31000/- for months and a contingency grant of Rs-25000/- per annum.
- A fellowship is entitled to salary and allowance admissible as per rules and contingency grant of Rs-25,000/- p.a. However special allowances like children’s education allowance, medical reimbursement, LTC, etc. are not admissible from ICSSR. The parent institution may, however, pay/reimburse the same as per its rule.
- The fellows will also get leave salary and pension contribution for contribution towards CPF and gratuity for the period for which he/she holds the ICSSR fellowship as per rules of the parent institution.
Joining & Release of ICSSR Post Doctoral Fellowship
- The scholar has to join the fellowship within one month of the date of the award letter by submitting all required documents through the affiliating/administering institution. This may be extended by the ICSSR up to a few months in exceptional circumstances with the prior approval of the ICSSR.
- The fellowship will be sanctioned initially for a period of one year, effective from the date of joining the Fellowship by scholar. The renewal of the Fellowship for the subsequent year shall be subject to the receipt of a satisfactory Annual Progress Report and statement of account for the entire fellowship released for the first year.
- The first-year fellowship and contingency will be released in two equal installments. The first installment will be released after receiving the Grant-in-Aid-Bill (GIB) and the second installment after receiving a satisfactory Six Monthly Progress Report in the prescribed format along with the Statement of Account to be issued by the Affiliating Institution.
- The second-year fellowship will be released in three installments. The first installment of the six-month fellowship along with contingency will be released upon receiving a satisfactory Annual Progress Report preferably along with a copy of one published research paper and Statement of Account. The second installment of 03 months fellowship along with contingency, will be released on receipt of a satisfactory Progress Report of 18 months in the prescribed format with a copy of the published research paper (if not submitted with an earlier progress report) along with the Statement of Account. The final installment of the remaining fellowship along with the contingency will be released after receiving the final report (including the revised report based on the Expert comments and finally, the expert’s recommendation for accepting the report) along with the second research papers and Statement of Accounts with Utilization Certificate in GFR-12A Form of the entire sanctioned amount of fellowship duly signed by the competent authority of the affiliating institution. However, in the case of a non-public funded institution, the final installment of the fellowship will be released on receipt of the Audited Statement of Accounts with Utilization Certificate in GFR-12A Form and verification of the documents by the ICSSR.
- The 7.5% overhead charges to the publicly funded affiliating institution will be released only after the submission of the audited statement of accounts with utilization certificate in the GFR-12A Form and verification of the documents by the ICSSR.
- The accounts and utilization certificate will be signed by the Finance Officer/Registrar/ Principal/Director in case the accounts of the Institution are audited by the CAG/AG. Otherwise, they need to be signed, both by the competent authority of the affiliating institution along by a chartered accountant.
- In case of salary protection, the leave salary and pension contribution or contribution towards CPF and gratuity will be released only after the completion of the fellowship in all respects and on receipt of the due & drawn statement from the parent organization and verification by the ICSSR. In case the employee comes under the New Pension Scheme (NPS), the employer’s contribution will be released along with the salary.
- The application should not be more than 45 years of age. There shall be an Age relaxation of 5 years for SC/ ST/Persons with disability.
- The candidate must possess a pH.D. degree in any of the social science disciplines.
- A fellow must affiliate themselves with an ICSSR Research Institute of National importance, which is approved by the government research institute/publicly funded Indian University including deemed Universities and colleges having approved Ph.D. programs and requisite research infrastructure of their choice.
- The selected fellow has to work under the guidance of a senior social scientist. The supervisor should not be superannuated and must be in regular employment at time of application and should belong to the affiliating institution in the same discipline as that of the applicant.
Procedure for the Awards
- The applications are initially scrutinized by the ICSSR secretariat.
- The expert committees will shortlist the meritorious proposal from the eligible applications.
- Interaction sessions will be conducted in which communities will make recommendations for the award by the ICSSR.
Completion of ICSSR Post Doctoral Fellowship
- If a fellow leaves the fellowship within one year, then they have to submit a detailed progress report of the work done with publications, if any, duly forwarded by the supervisor and the affiliating institution ensuring the final settlement of account by the affiliating institution up to the period of the fellowship.
- On completion of the following syntax, color should submit the following-
- A book-length final report in a publishable form along with a Summary of the report (3000-4000 words) and published research papers.
- These documents should be submitted in hard copy (two copies of the final report and five copies each of the Summary and research articles) and a soft copy in pen-drive.
- A certificate of settlement of assets and books purchased out of the contingency grant issued by the affiliating Institution.
Also Read: AICTE National Doctoral Fellowship
Application Procedure for ICSSR Post Doctoral Fellowship
- Candidate needs to click on the registration form, which includes the research proposal format, namely- The detail of the research proposal given in the application form. Proposals should be submitted in the given proforma only.
- In this application form, you have to submit documents that are required in the application form. All the Scholars are required to keep the hard copy of the application annexures ready, duly forwarded by the competent authorities of the university or institution so that they may submit the required hard copies, on-demand, within one week after the completion of the screening process. It is being done for the sake of convenience of the applicants so that they get more time for preparing the hard copies.
- The research proposal submitted by the candidate should be either in English or Hindi.