The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) was initiated by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. It was introduced on May 1, 2016, to provide LPG connections to the country’s most remote and impoverished areas, and benefit thousands of households. Over three years, the government expects this scheme to provide potential employment opportunities for at least 1, 00,000 citizens and business opportunities worth over Rs. 10,000 crores. Read below to check the detailed information related to the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana 2022 like Highlights, Objectives, Features, Benefits, Eligibility Criteria, Application Procedures, Application Status, and much more.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana 2022
Even today, many houses and apartments in our country do not have access to cooking gas. As a result, they are confronted with numerous challenges. With this in mind, the Central Government launched the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana. Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana will provide LPG to women from the APL, BPL, and ration cardholders across the country. The scheme’s goal is to provide gas connections to over 5 crore households that lack the necessary fuel for cooking or still rely on traditional cooking methods such as firewood, kerosene, and other environmentally harmful fuels. The budget for this scheme’s implementation has been set at Rs. 8,000 crores. You can get Rs.1600 for each connection, as well as an interest-free loan to buy a gas stove and refill the cylinder, under the scheme. The operating costs of the LPG connection will be covered by the government.
Also Check: PM-USP Special Scholarship Scheme
Highlights of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
|Scheme Name||Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana|
|Initiated by||Central Government of India|
|Introduced by||Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas|
|Introduced on||01 May 2016|
|Main objective||To provide LPG connections to women from BPL households and to reduce health hazards or diseases and air pollution caused by the use of unclean fossil fuels|
|Total Budget||Rs. 8000 Crore|
|Financial Assistance||Rs. 1600/- per LPG connection.|
Objectives of PM Ujjwala Yojana
The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Scheme was launched with a specific set of goals in mind. The scheme’s primary objectives are as follows:
- To safeguard women’s health and general well-being
- To empower women, particularly those from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds
- Reduce health problems caused by the continued use of unclean fuel or other traditional cooking methods such as coals, firewood, cow dung, and so on.
- Reduce and eventually control indoor and outdoor pollution caused by the use of fossil fuels, which causes a variety of respiratory illnesses.
Also Check: Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana
Benefits and Features of PM Ujjwala Yojana
Some of the key benefits and features of the scheme are as follows:
- The scheme will give 5 crore families in the country access to LPG cylinders.
- The operating costs of this assistance will be covered by the government.
- The administration will cover the cost of the gas connection up to Rs. 1,600.
- The scheme is available across India, i.e. to all states, with preference given to the north-eastern states.
- This scheme will also help to alleviate the problems that individuals in hilly and northeastern states have in obtaining an LPG connection.
- According to the revised scheme from February 2018, the expanded eligibility criteria will allow more households to benefit from the program.
- The scheme will include or cover all eligible families under various distributors, as well as different cylinder capacities like 14.2 Kg, 5Kg, etc.
- The scheme will also create jobs for over a million people in the country, as well as an estimated increase in business possibilities of Rs. 10,000 crores.
- Interest-free loans from oil marketing companies are also part of the scheme. These loans will be available for both stove refilling and stove purchases.
- The revised scheme also includes beneficiaries of other government programs such as the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Gramin), Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY), and Most Backward Classes (MBC), Tea and Ex-Tea Garden Tribes, Forest dwellers, and people living on islands and rivers.
- Benefits under the Covid-19 Relief Package, also known as the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana, will be extended to the PMUY scheme, with over 8 crore beneficiaries receiving a total of three LPG gas cylinders between April and June 2020. The government will cover the cost of the 14.2 kg cylinders under the scheme, and the beneficiaries will receive them free of charge.
Applicants who want to apply for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana must fulfill the eligibility criteria put forward by the Government of India. The eligibility criteria for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana 2022 are as follows
- The applicant must come from a low-income family or household.
- An applicant must be a female household member.
- The applicant must be at least 18 years old and a citizen of India.
- Another important requirement is that no other LPG connections be available in her name or the name of any other family members.
- The family’s overall or total income cannot exceed the limit imposed by the State Government or UT’s
- The individual’s name must appear in the 2011 SECC (Socio-economic Caste Census) list, and all of the information contained therein must match.
While filling up the application form for the scheme, some important documents will be needed by the applicants, make sure to keep them handy. The documents required for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana 2022 are as follows:
- Passport size photograph
- Valid identity proof like Aadhaar card, Voter ID Card, Driving License, BPL Ration Card, etc
- Aadhaar numbers of all the family members
- Address proof like Copy of Passport, Lease Agreement, Telephone bill, Water Bill, Electricity Bill, Ration Card, Flat Allotment/Possession Letter
- BPL certificate issued by the municipality chairman or panchayat pradhan
- Caste certificate
- BPL ration card
- Duly signed 14-point declaration in the specified format
- Bank passbook or details of Jan Dhan bank account
Steps to Apply for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana 2022
Applicants need to follow the below-given steps to apply for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana 2022
- First of all, download the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana form from the Ujjwala website of PMUY or visit your nearest LPG distributor to get the application form
- Now, fill in the form with all the required details like name, age, address, Jan Dhan Bank account details, Aadhaar Number of all the members of the household, etc
- After that, attach all the required documents
- Now, submit the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana 2022 form at the LPG distributor office
- The application form will be processed by concerned authorities
- After the application form is verified, an LPG connection will be issued by various Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs)
- The beneficiaries can also avail the EMI options that are available.
- The EMI amount can be compared to the subsidy that the consumer will receive on each refill.
State-Wise Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Connections
|S.No.||State||Approximate No. of Connections Registered & Distributed Under PMUY scheme|
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands||13,103|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli||14,438|
|Daman and Diu||427|
|Jammu and Kashmir||12,03,246|
For further details or in case of any query or complaint related to the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana 2022, feel free to contact on the below-given details:
- LPG Emergency Helpline: 1906
- Toll-Free Helpline: 1800-233-3555
- Ujjwala Helpline: 1800-266-6696