The International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) has been released by the Geological Society of India(IGEO). The international Science Olympiad was founded as one of the major activities of the international GEO Science Education Organization. It is an annual competition for secondary school students, not the main aim of IES to encourage students in class and public awareness of Earth science and to enhance Earth science learning and teaching/learning at the school level. The students who are willing to apply, need to submit an application form through the school/center in which they wish to take the exam. In this article, we also provide you with information related to the International Earth Science Olympiad IESO 2023.
About International Earth Science Olympiad 2023
The International Earth Science Olympiad aims to encourage students’ interest and public awareness of Earth science and enhance Earth science learning and enhance teaching at the school level. The IESO aims further to foster friendly relationships among young learners from different countries and promote international cooperation in exchanging ideas and materials on Earth science and Earth science education. The Geological Society of India is the body responsible for selecting the Indian Team for the Earth science Olympiad. So far, the Earth Science Olympiad program in the country is in 4 stages.
- National-level Entrance Test
- Training camp culminating in the Indian National Earth Science Olympiad.
- Pre-departure Training camp.
- Earth Science Olympiad.
The Earth science olympiad is conducted by the ESO Cell at the Geological Society of India constituted by the President, the Geological Society of India. The IESO is supported by the Ministry of Earth science, Government of India as one of its outreach programs for the promotion of Earth science.
National Interactive Maths Olympiad
IESO 2023 Important Dates
|Main Events||Tentative Dates|
|Starting of the registration process||Updated Soon|
|Last date for registration||Updated Soon|
|Date of entrance exam||Updated Soon|
|Declaration of result||Updated Soon|
IESO Eligibility Criteria
Interested students who want to participate in the scheme must know the eligibility criteria which are given below:
- The student should be a permanent resident of India.
- The students with OCI cards are also eligible to write the International Earth Science Olympiad 2023.
- The students must be studying in class 9th, 10th or 11th in the month of September 2023.
- The age of the candidate should be less than 18 years.
Application Fees for International Earth Science Olympiad
- The application fee for all the candidates is Rs-150/-
- All the candidates need to pay the application fee at the school and get the acknowledgment slip with the institution’s seal.
Selection Process for International Science Olympiad
1st Stage: The first stage is a National level entrance test. This test consists of an objective type of question and the top 20 students from this test will be selected for the next i.e. training camp.
2nd Stage: The 2nd Stage is the Training camp and the National Science Olympiad. The training camp will continue for 18 days and this will be conducted at the research institution. Once the training gets completed, a test will be organized. On the basis of the test top, 4 students will be selected to represent India in the International Earth Science Olympiad 2023.
3rd Stage: Pre-departure Training: Before the candidates depart for Beijing, China to represent India. They undergo further training guided by the team leader and mentors at the Geological Society of India Bangalore.
4th Stage: Finally, the candidates get the chance to represent India in Beijing, China at the International Earth Science Olympiad.
Exam Pattern for International Earth Science Olympiad
- Mode of examination: Offline
- Types of Questions: Objective type
- Duration of the examination: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Language of Questions: English
Syllabus for International Earth Science Olympiad
- Mineral and rocks
- Identification of selected minerals from the list
- Classification of selected rocks from the list
- Identification of reefal limestones and reef-building organisms.
- Historical geology (Sedimentology, paleontology, stratigraphy, paleo-global change)
- Principle of plate tectonics and its application.
- Plate tectonics and seismology
- Physical geography- geomorphology, climatology, hydrology, soil geography, major vegetation zones.
- Observational astronomy- relative motion between the sun, moon, and Earth, sky, planetary observations, satellite brightness, and color telescopes.
- Introduction to the solar system- Sun Direct planets, outer planets, dwarf planets, comets, asteroids, satellites, planetary rings, space exploration in the solar system.
- The sun is a star
- The earth in the universe
- Space science
- Basics and energy of the atmosphere
- Moisture, clouds, and precipitation
- Air pressure and motion
- Weather systems and pattern
- Climate and climate change
- Observations, weather forecast, and atmospheric optics
- Hydrography: water temperature, the color of seawater, water depth, nutrients in the ocean, water density, dissolved oxygen, salinity, light intensity in the Ocean, sea level, altimeter, pressure, evaporation, TS diagram, precipitation, mixing layer, river run of, the sound velocity in the ocean.
- Current: geostrophic current, sea surface, dynamic topography, thermohaline circulation, Coriolis force, friction force.
- Tide: semidiurnal tide, generating force, diurnal tide, low water, neap tide, high water, spring tide, tidal range, equilibrium theory of tide.
- Wave: wave height, speed in shallow water, waves period, wave speed in deep water, wavelength, Tsunami.
Application Form for International Science Olympiad 2023
The application process for the International Earth Science Olympiad will take place in offline mode. So, the students need to download the application form from the official website. The complete application process is below:
- The students may contact their school authorities for getting the application form or download the same from the official website.
- The candidate may have to provide their required details in the application form.
- The details are required to be entered in the application form are:
- Student registration details: name of the student, date of birth, gender, or class.
- Student Studying Details: School type, name of the school, and school place.
- Correspondence Details of a student: Residential address of the student.
International Earth Science Olympiad 2023 Result
- After completion of the Examination, the authority will declare the result online through the official website.
- Only 20 students will be shortlisted for the next round.
- Those 20 students who cleared the first stage of the international Science Olympiad received a certificate of merit.
- The four students who will represent India in the International Earth Science Olympiad 2023 will get the certificate of merit along with the cash prize.