PROMYS Program in Mathematics for Young Scientists, India 2023 was created in order to recognize the talent of the students who are pursuing mathematics seriously and have a talent in order to take into account various formulas and problems without any problem or difficulty. The students who are interested in mathematics will be provided with the opportunity to successfully get a chance of full scholarship which will include housing and also residency. The students will be provided meals and also the required books. PROMYS 2023 will help the students to recognize they are talented and they will be provided with rewards accordingly. You can check out the information related to the program from the article provided below and we will share with you all the eligibility criteria and the application procedure that you need to follow to apply for the program.
What is PROMYS India?
Program in Mathematics for Young Scientists, India 2023 is a six-week residential mathematics summer program which is created in order to support talented Secondary And Higher Secondary students that are students from classes 9 to 12th or equivalent. The people will be provided with opportunities so that they can continue their mathematics from various Institutions and the students will be selected from different types of Institutions also. This is the extension of a parent program that was originally created in the United States in order to promote mathematics in students. The applications are now open and the students can fill out the application form accordingly.
Also Check: Maths Talent Search Exam
History of PROYMS
Program in Mathematics for Young Scientists, India 2023 is a branch of the Boston University program which was created in the year 1989 in order to provide opportunities to the people who are otherwise not able to get opportunities. This program is implemented in India in partnership with a lot of people who are enthusiastic about becoming the pillar of the development of mathematics in India. The people of India can now apply for this program after it has been providing a lot of benefits for the US students who were currently associated with the University of Boston however if you are applying for the India program there are larger possibilities of you getting selected as compared to the Boston program.
Highlights of PROYMS India Program
|Name||Program in Mathematics for Young Scientists, India 2023|
|Launched by||Program in Mathematics for Young Scientists, Boston 2023|
|Objective||Providing A Summer internship|
|Official Website||Click Here|
- The deadline for receipt of the application, application problem set, school report card, and teacher recommendation form is 15 February 2023 (at 11:59 PM IST). Applicants will get an email in mid-March with their admissions decision.
- The program will starts from 7 May 2023 to 17 June 2023
Partners Under PROMYS India
The following people are in partnership in order to successfully provide this scholarship to the beneficiaries:-
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc)- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) establishes in 1909 by a visionary partnership between the industrialist Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata, the Mysore royal family, and the Government of India.
- PROMYS: Program in Mathematics for Young Scientists- PROMYS is the parent programme of PROMYS India. The PROMYS summer programme is a rigorous six-week summer immersion in mathematics that has been running at Boston University in the U.S. for the past 30+ years. Glenn Stevens, Professor of Mathematics at Boston University, has been the Director of PROMYS since its founding in 1989.
- PROMYS Foundation- Alumni of the PROMYS programme established the PROMYS Foundation as a non-profit 501(c)(3) public charity in 2011 in order to support PROMYS’ mission of nurturing mathematical talent wherever it can be found. The founding alum Trustees all felt they had benefitted deeply from their participation in PROMYS and wanted to ensure this opportunity would continue to be available to future generations of mathematically talented students regardless of their financial circumstances. The PROMYS Foundation continues to be run by alumni who volunteer their time and expertise.
Sponsors Under PROMYS India
The following sponsors are available for the scholarship presented by the concerned organization to give to the beneficiaries:-
- Nick Nash- Nick is the Co-Founder and Managing Partner of Asia Partners, a unique synthesis of world-class investing and operating skills, focused on Asia’s next growth region.
- Avi and Sandra Nash- Avi and Sandra Nash have supported the establishment of PROMYS India from the start of its pilot programme, the Mehta Fellowships to PROMYS.
- Phalgun Raju- Phalgun Raju is an entrepreneur and a philanthropist. She is the Managing Partner of Morph Ventures, a pre-series. An investor and venture builder across India & Southeast Asia, and Advisory Board Member to InsightzClub, a programmatic market research and data exchange platform. As a 2018 Kaufman Fellow, Phalgun is the recipient of a two-year venture capital fellowship.
- Indira Foundation- Based in Greenwich, Connecticut in the U.S., the Indira Foundation is a charitable foundation that provides generous support for non-profits, primarily in the areas of education and health. The Motivation for Excellence Initiative (MFE) is the brainchild of the Indira Foundation and the RG Manudhane Foundation for Excellence based in Mumbai, India. MFE’s charitable ventures are largely in education, healthcare, and self-help (especially for women). In some cases, MFE runs the charitable programmes and in other cases, they are run by partner organizations with whom MFE works closely.
- Morph.org- Morph.org is a philanthropic foundation whose unique model is to ideate, fund, and build social ventures and projects in India and emerging markets through key partners. The non-profit has four primary areas of focus: India and emerging markets, education and meritocracy, women’s rights and social justice, and infrastructure and healthcare.
- Packard Foundation- David and Lucile Packard Foundation: The Packard Foundation works with people and communities to create enduring solutions for just societies and a healthy, resilient natural world. The Foundation makes grants at the local, state, national, and international levels, supporting innovative nonprofits to create meaningful impact across the globe. It is a family foundation, guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies.
Benefits Of PROMYS
The following benefits will be provided to the people who are applying for this prestigious scholarship scheme:-
- Every student accepts to PROMYS India, for at least the first year of the programme, will get a full scholarship which will cover all participation costs: tuition, housing, meals, approved travel, and any required books.
- There are no financial eligibility requirements or income cutoffs for participation in PROMYS India.
- These scholarships are provided by Nick Nash and Phalgun Raju, Co-founders of Morph.org; and Avi and Sandra Nash of the Indira Foundation.
- A number of students will get support by Jay Pullur Fellowships.
- It is central to the conception of PROMYS India that the programme remains accessible to students based on their mathematical ability and mathematical interest, not on family finances. PROMYS India is determined that, over the coming years, the cost of participation will continue to be subsidized for all students and that scholarships or financial aid (up to the full cost of participation including travel expenses) will always be available to ensure students can attend regardless of their financial background.
The applicant will select on the basis of the following admission criteria in order to successfully get admission into the scholarship program:-
- An applicant’s solutions to a set of challenging mathematical problems. Though they can all solve with no more than a standard secondary school mathematics background, most of the problems require considerably more ingenuity than is usually expected in secondary school.
- Teacher’s recommendation.
- Secondary school mark sheet (grade report or transcript) covering all years from Standard IX and above (from Standard VIII and above for students applying in Standard IX).
- Applicant’s responses relating to interest in the programme.
- The mathematicians who assess solutions to the application problems do not simply add up the number of “correct” solutions; they assess applications holistically, taking into account the mathematical opportunities available to the applicant and evidence of characteristics such as mathematical creativity, originality, clarity of thought, the precision of expression, and perseverance.
Mathematics at PROMYS India
A lot of components of mathematics will cover in this scholarship and some of the components that will cover are below:-
- Number Theory- Through their intensive efforts to solve an assortment of unusually challenging problems in Number Theory, participants will practice the art of mathematical discovery. The problem sets encourage students to design their own numerical experiments and employ their own powers of analysis to discover mathematical patterns, formulate and test conjectures, and justify their ideas by devising their own mathematical proofs. Some students choose to work alone; others prefer to work in collaboration.
- First-Year Labs- First-year students may also choose to meet in small groups to work on projects called First-Year Exploration Labs, guided by a counselor and faculty. At the end of the summer, the students write up their work and also make a presentation of their research to the assembled PROMYS community.
- Supplementary Lectures and Minicourses- Students ask Professor Po-Shen Loh (Carnegie Mellon University) questions after his PROMYS Guest Lecture at Boston University. The regular programme activities are supplements by a wide range of lectures by faculty and guests of the programme. These lectures introduce participants to related scientific fields and include discussions of a broad range of mathematical and maths-related topics. Independently, the counselors also organize minicourses on topics of their own choosing. (Click here and here to see recent guest lectures and counselor talks given at PROMYS Boston in the U.S.)
- Mathematics for Returning Students- Students who find their PROMYS India experience especially worthwhile may invite to return for a second summer to participate in more advanced mathematical activities.
- Advanced Seminars- To ensure that returning students and counselors find their experience intellectually stimulating, PROMYS India offers advanced seminars as well as the mandatory Number of Theory lectures.
- Returning Student Labs- In addition to the advanced seminars, returning students undertake research projects, supported by counselors and mentored by professional mathematicians. The students present their results to the PROMYS community at the end of the summer session and write up their findings as research papers.
The applicant must follow the following eligibility criteria in order to successfully apply for this scholarship:-
- Applicants must attend secondary or higher secondary school in India in Standards IX-XII (or +1, +2, or PUC). Students must have completed (or currently be in) Standard IX before the start of the programme. Students are still eligible to apply if they are just completing their final year of higher secondary school (or taking a gap year) but have not yet begun their university studies.
- Students attending government-funded schools, government-aided private schools, unaided private or independent schools, sixth-form colleges, home schools, and other types of secondary or higher secondary schools in India are all eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be at least 15 years old by 7 May 2023. (We do not anticipate that any exceptions will be available, but students who are very close to 15 can apply if they wish.) Most students will be older than 15. Students are no longer eligible if they will be 19 or older at the start of the programme.
- Students who are already attending university are NOT eligible to be first-year students (though they may be eligible to apply to be undergraduate counselors).
- Lectures, discussions, and problem sets at PROMYS India are all in English. Applicants should possess English language skills sufficient to enable full participation.
- There are no financial requirements of any sort for eligibility or participation in PROMYS India. For at least the first year of the program, every student who is accepted to PROMYS India will automatically be awarded a full scholarship which will cover all costs of participation: tuition, housing and meals, approved travel, and any required books.
The following documents require in order to successfully apply for the scholarship program:-
- Application Problem Set. It would not be inappropriate to think about and work on the problems for several weeks ahead of the deadline.
- School Report Card(s) – for all years from Standard IX and above (from Standard VIII and above for students applying in Standard IX). Copies of transcripts issued by your school are fine; it is not required that transcripts be from the Educational Boards. Homeschooled students should upload a description of the studies undertaken.
- Online Application Form: The application will require you to answer short questions and upload your solutions to the application problems and your school report card.
- Teacher Recommendation Form to submit by a mathematics teacher or mentor. This does not have to be your current teacher in school. You will ask to enter your recommendation writer’s name and email address on the application form. When you click “Send Request Now,” the Submittable platform will email your recommendation writer a link to the recommendation form.
Also Check: National Interactive Maths Olympiad
PROMYS 2023 Application Form
If you want to apply online for this scholarship when you will have to follow the simple procedure given below:-
- You will first have to visit the official website of the scheme by clicking on the link given here
- The home page will open on your screen
- You have to click on the option called Students
- A new page will open on your screen
- Now you will have to click on the option called Student Application and the details related to the application will open on your screen
- You have to read the details related to the applications carefully to get the information related to the eligibility criteria.
- You have to click on the option called To Apply
- The application form with the important information will open on your screen and you will have to click on the option called Create Your Account to start creating your account.
- Enter specific information and upload the documents in order to submit your application for this scholarship.
- Mrs. Julia Rolnick, Director of Outreach
- Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
PROMYS India FAQs
You can apply for this scholarship by visiting the official website of the organization and clicking on the option called student application.
The students will have to enter important information and they will have to submit their school report card online application form and a teacher recommendation form in order to successfully fill out the application form.
If you want to submit the application form for PROMYS Program in Mathematics for Young Scientists, India 2023 then you will have to do it before 15 February 2023.
There will be over 45: Approximately 32 students and 8 counselors plus faculty, research mentors, and visiting mathematicians. For the second year of the program, it is intended that there be 48 students and 12 counselors.