The Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India has instituted a prestigious scheme known as “Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellowship” for Indian Nationals who are working overseas in various fields of biotechnology and life sciences and are interested in taking up scientific research positions in India. Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellows shall be able to work in any of the scientific institutions/universities in the country and shall also be eligible for regular research grants through extramural and other research schemes of various S&T agencies of the Government of India.
About Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellowship 2023
This fellowship program is being managed by Regional Center for Biotechnology under its DBT-HRD Project & Management Unit (DBT-HRD PMU. Applications are solicited for the year 2023 from Indian Nationals working in overseas research institutions for the “Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellowship”. Monetary benefits will be provided to the selected applicants under this fellowship program. All the further information related to the fellowship program like the application process, eligibility criteria, selection process, benefits, last date, and much more are covered in this article in this article in the further section.
Also Read: Subir Chowdhury Post Doctoral Fellowship
Key Highlights of Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellowship
|Conducted by||The Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India|
|Name of Fellowship||Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellowship|
|Aim||To attract high-quality Indian brains working abroad to pursue their research interests|
|Benefits||The scheme provides a consolidated monthly remuneration of Rs. 1,00,000/-|
|Eligible for||The applicant should possess a Ph.D./M.D. or equivalent degree|
|Official website||Ramalingaswami Re-entry|
Objectives of Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellowship
The idea behind starting Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellowship in 2006-07 was to attract high-quality Indian brains working abroad to pursue their research interests in life sciences, biotechnology, and other related areas in India by providing them an attractive avenue to pursue their R&D interests in Indian institutions. It was thought that this step will create a pool of highly skilled and trained researchers working on cutting-edge technologies in Indian laboratories, available for absorption in the Indian academic system through recruitment.
Benefits of Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellowship
- The scheme provides a consolidated monthly remuneration of Rs. 1,00,000/- p.m. In addition, a House Rent Allowance (HRA) of Rs. 18,500/- p.m. is given to fellows. In case the host institute provides accommodation to the fellow, no HRA is admissible. The fellowship is taxable as per Govt. of India rules.
- Fellows will receive a research/contingency grant of Rs. 10.00 lakh for the 1st & 2nd year; Rs. 7.50 lakh for 3rd & the 4th year; Rs. 5.00 lakh for the 5th year for the purchase of consumables, minor equipment, international and domestic travel, engaging manpower and other contingent expenditure to incur for the implementation of research proposal which is a part of the fellowship and Institutional overhead Rs. 50,000/ year.
- DBT encourages host institutions to provide medical benefits, transport allowance, leave travel allowance, and other benefits as per their prevailing norms as applicable to their employees of the rank equivalent to Assistant Professor/Scientist D out of their own resources/ funds.
- Fellows retain an option for drawing either the fellowship or salary if they are appointed to a suitable permanent scientific position. Fellows opting for salary can continue to avail of the research /contingency grant with prior approval of DBT.
Important Dates For Applicants
- Starting Date Of Application: Update Soon
- Closing Date Of Application: Update Soon
- The applicant should possess a Ph.D./M.D. or equivalent degree with an outstanding track record as reflected in publications Qand other recognitions and with at least three years of post- doctoral research experience of which the last two years should be from an overseas laboratory.
- Only candidates (Indian nationals) working overseas are eligible to apply. Those who have already returned to India within one year of the closing date of this advertisement but without a job are also eligible.
- Researcher’s upto 45 years of age as determined on the closing date of application are eligible to apply.
As evident from the increasing number of applications for the fellowship, more and more people are showing interest to come back to India and serve the nation. So far, 409 fellows have taken up positions in various Indian Laboratories, out of which, 250 fellows have already been able to seek permanent faculty positions. During the last 5 years, the Department has awarded fellowships to 240 fellows. The fellows have done excellent science in the form of publications, and patents, few have started spin-off companies. The research done by these fellows has led them to receive prestigious awards and fellowships.
Time Period/ Tenure of RamalingaswamI Re-Entry Fellowship
The selected candidates will get the fellowship for 5 five years of duration which is extendable for another term on the fresh appraisal of the performance of the fellow.
- Date Of Birth Proof (Tenth Standard Certificate/Passport/Aadhaar/ Any Other Govt. Issued ID))
- Copy Of Passport (If Applicable)
- Doctoral Degree Certificate
- MD/MS Degree Certificate (If Applicable)
- Research Contribution
- Reprints Of 5 Best Research Publications
- Research Proposal
- Certificate By Host Institute
- Letter Of Recommendation (To submit By Referee)
Also Read: Ban Ki-Moon Scholarship
Application Procedure for Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellowship
- The applicant first visits the Ramalingaswami Re-entry website of Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellowship.
- The homepage molecular screen where you have to click on the Registration link.
- Fill out The Online Application Form Between The Starting Date And the Closing Date Of the Application.
- Applicants Shall Receive A Confirmation Email On Submission Of the Completion Application Form. In Case, No Confirmation Email Is Received, Applicant Must Login And Submit The Application Correctly.
- Names And Contact Details Of The Referees Are To Be Provided By The Applicant While Filling Out The Application Form.
- On Submission Of the Application Form, an Email Shall Be Sent To The Email Addresses Of All The Referees Who Have Been Mentioned In The Application Form.
- Referees Shall log in To DBT-RLS Online Portal Using a Username And Password Received Through Email. Referees Must Upload a Letter Of Recommendation On The Portal Before The Closing Date Of the Application.
- Applicant Shall Ensure That The Referee Provides a Recommendation On Time. DBT/RCB Is In No Way Responsible If Comments Are Not Received In Time.
- Submission Of a Certificate From the Host Institute Is Mandatory; Otherwise, The Application Shall Not Be Accepted.