Google has announced a fellowship program known as Google PhD fellowship 2023. Under this fellowship program, the organization will be acknowledging the research opportunities provided to students who are doing PhD programs. The students will be provided exceptional opportunities so that they can pursue PhD in the fields of Computer Science and other related areas. PhD students who are showing great academic excellence in various fields will be able to apply for this opportunity. The people will be able to work together with well-known individuals and they will be able to work in research communities available in various countries. The students will be able to apply for the fellowship program if they are coming from countries like Africa, Australia, Canada, East Asia, Europe, India, Latin America, New Zealand, Southeast Asia, and the United States. Check out more information about Google PhD Fellowship 2023 from the article given below:
Importance of Google Ph.D. Fellowship
Google PhD fellowship program will be provided to the people so that they can work in research communities that are otherwise very difficult to take part in. The fellowship will provide academic support to the students who are PhD students in various countries. The students will be provided research opportunities and new ideas will be provided to the student so that they can conduct their research on them. There are innovative technologies that are provided to the students and Google will be able to get access to new ideas through the help of these research scholars. The scholars are provided support so that they can build a great relationship between Google and their academic community. Google as a company will support individuals who are coming from developing countries and do not have access to technology that is very rare. The student coming from the economically backward section of society will be supported through the development of the Google PhD fellowship program.
Also Read: Generation Google Scholarship
Google PhD Fellowship Objective
The main objective behind the development of the Google PhD Fellowship is to recognise and support the PhD candidates who want to work in an environment that is favourable to them. The students will be provided with the opportunity to talk to individuals that are coming from the same space. The students will be provided with the opportunity to learn more about innovative technology that can be used in research. The students will be able to be a part of a community that is well diverse and very well-known in the research area. The students will be coming from different backgrounds and the people will be able to know more about the research culture that is prevalent in Google. There will be diverse talent and promotion of gender equality through the development of this fellowship program because the students will be able to work with each other in harmony.
The applicant must follow the following eligibility criteria in order to successfully apply for this fellowship program:
- Students must be enrolled full-time in a PhD program or forfeit the award.
- Google employees and their families are not eligible.
- Students with comparable industry awards are not eligible, but those with government or non-profit funding are exempt.
- Past awardees from certain regions are not eligible to apply again.
- Nominees from Australia and New Zealand, East Asia, Europe, the United States, and Canada must meet specific requirements.
- Direct applicants from Africa, India, Latin America, and Southeast Asia must register for a full-time PhD program in computer science or a related field in the academic award year.
- Latin American applicants must be incoming or early-stage PhD students.
- Receiving the Fellowship does not guarantee admission to a PhD program.
- The Fellowship award is subject to the rules and guidelines of the institution where the awardee registers for the PhD program.
Google PhD Fellowship Research Fields
The Fellowships are awarded to students who represent the future of research in the following fields:
- Algorithms, optimizations, and markets
- Computational neural and cognitive sciences
- Health research
- Human-Computer interaction
- Machine learning
- Machine perception, speech technology, and computer vision
- Mobile computing
- Natural language processing (including Information Retrieval and Extraction)
- Privacy and Security
- Programming Languages and Software Engineering
- Quantum computing
- Recommender systems
- Structured data and database management
- Systems and networking
Benefits and Features
The following benefits will be provided to the people who are applying for this prestigious scholarship scheme:
- Students receive named Fellowships which include a monetary award to cover expenses and a stipend.
- The funds are given directly to the university.
- A Google Research Mentor will be assigned to the student.
- Receiving the Fellowship does not create an employment relationship between the student and Google.
- The award does not guarantee future internships or employment opportunities at Google.
- Africa: Up to 3-year Fellowship with US $30K and a Google Research Mentor.
- Australia and New Zealand: 1-year Fellowship with AUD $15K and a Google Research Mentor.
- East Asia: 1-year Fellowship with US $10K and a Google Research Mentor.
- Europe: Up to 3-year Fellowship with a yearly bursary and a Google Research Mentor.
- India: Up to 4-year Fellowship with US $50K for early-stage PhD students and 1-year Fellowship with US $10K for late-stage PhD students, both with a Google Research Mentor.
- Latin America: Up to 3-year Fellowship with US $15K per year and a Google Research Mentor.
- Southeast Asia: Up to 3-year Fellowship with US $10K per year and a Google Research Mentor.
- United States and Canada: Up to 3-year Fellowship with full tuition and fees plus a stipend for living expenses, travel, and personal equipment, and a Google Research Mentor.
Application Period for the 2023 Fellowship
- The Google PhD Fellowship India program application window is now open. Submit by 11:59:59pm UTC-12 (AOE) April 18, 2023. Notification of decisions will be made in July 2023.
The applicant will have to go through the following selection procedure in order to get selected for the fellowship:
- Applications are assessed based on the following criteria: research proposal, research impact, academic achievements, and leadership potential.
- The research proposal is evaluated for its relevance to Google’s research areas, innovative concepts, robustness, and potential impact on the field.
- The research proposal should include a comprehensive description of the research being pursued, as well as the direction and plans for future work.
- In the United States, Canada, and Europe, essay responses are also evaluated to determine an overall recommendation.
- The selection of award recipients is not based on the nominee’s membership in a historically marginalized group.
- Research should align with Google AI Principles.
- Incomplete proposals will not be considered.
Application Process Under Fellowship 2023
The applicant must follow the following application procedure in order to successfully apply for the fellowship:
- You will first have to visit the Google Ph.D. website of the program while clicking on the link given here
- The homepage will open on your screen then you have to click on the country of your choice.
- You have to now click on the option called Submit Application and a new page will open on your screen.
- The applicants are required to fill out the application form and then they will be able to successfully apply for the scholarship scheme.
The following documents are required in order to successfully apply for this fellowship program presented by the organization:
- Student applicant’s resume with links to website and publications (if available)
- Short (one-page) resume/CV of the student applicant’s primary Ph.D. program advisor
- Available transcripts (mark sheets) starting from the first year/semester of Bachelor’s degree to date
- Research proposal (maximum 3 pages, excluding references)
- 2-3 letters of recommendation from those familiar with the applicant’s work (at least one from the thesis advisor for current PhD students)
- Africa: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Australia and New Zealand: email@example.com
- Canada, Europe, and the United States: firstname.lastname@example.org
- East Asia: email@example.com
- Latin America: firstname.lastname@example.org
- India: email@example.com
- Southeast Asia: firstname.lastname@example.org
Google Ph.D. Fellowship 2023 FAQs
The Google PhD Fellowship Program is a very prestigious initiative presented by Google in order to promote research Scholars coming from various backward sections of society.
The student must be a PhD student. The students must be pursuing PhD in computer science or any other field.
The Google PhD Fellowship is available in several regions, including Africa, Australia, Canada, East Asia, Europe, India, Latin America, New Zealand, Southeast Asia, and the United States.
The students will be provided financial assistance so their tuition fees are covered in the PhD course and they are matched with a Google Research Mentor.
The students are selected based on the strength of the research proposal, research impact, student academic achievements, and leadership potential. The proposals should also be according to the guidelines issued by Google.