The Humboldt Research Fellowship is launched for researchers who are pursuing postdoctoral research in German universities and institutions. This fellowship has been designed to allow the researchers to carry on further research work for the tenure of 6 to 24 months at a university in Germany. Through the Humboldt Research Fellowship, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation sponsors researchers with above-average qualifications from across the globe. As a fellow, you will benefit from individual support from the Humboldt Foundation and our diverse sponsorship portfolio. The fellowship avails a total amount of 2670 EUR (228,726 INR) as a monthly stipend. In this article, we will also provide you with brief information about the scholarship, its eligibility criteria, objectives, benefits, application procedure, and much more.
About Humboldt Research Fellowship 2022
Humboldt Research Fellowship has been started by the Humboldt foundation for all the students who have completed their doctoral studies and want to pursue postdoctoral research. The fellowship is a one-time payment started by the foundation to provide students a chance to pursue their postdoctoral research in any German university or institution. Applicants from the humanities, physics or social science background should have good language skills in German or English to perform their research successfully. Information related to the scholarship program has been mentioned below in the article
Also Check: Ban Ki-Moon Scholarship
Key Highlights of Fellowship
|Conducted by||Humboldt foundation|
|Name of Fellowship||Humboldt Research Fellowship|
|No. Of scholarship||N/A|
|Renewability||One time payment|
|International students eligible||Yes|
Objective of Humboldt Research Fellowship
The Humboldt Research Fellowship enables you to conduct your own research at various stages of your career in collaboration with a host at a German research institution of your choice. Hosts may apply for a subsidy toward research costs.
Benefits of Humboldt Research Fellowship
- Benefit from research sponsorship in Germany at the beginning of your academic career. The Humboldt Research Fellowship for postdoctoral researchers enables you to conduct research in Germany. The monthly fellowship amount is €2,670. Fellowships may last from 6 to 24 months.
- You can still apply for research sponsorship in Germany even if you are already well advance in your academic career. The Humboldt Research Fellowship for experienced researchers enables you to conduct research in Germany. The fellowship amount is €3,170. Fellowships may last from 6 to 18 months and can divide into up to three stays within three years.
- In addition to the fellowship amount, you will also receive personal support throughout your fellowship. You are flexible in determining when you would like to start your fellowship. Prior to your research fellowship, you and your marital partner will be able to attend an intensive language course.
- Further financial support, including family benefits for children and marital partners, subsidies for private full health insurance and allowances for travel expenses, is also available.
The Humboldt Research Fellowship foundation informs the students regarding the receipt of their application and other documents as soon as they receive. The selection decision is based upon the academic qualifications of the individual.
Following the submission, the committee checks the application and other documents to ensure that the formal requirements specified are fulfilled. The Selection Committee meetings occur in March, July, and November every year. The committee informs the candidates about tentative selection dates.
- Reviews of applications are done by two independent reviewers.
- Final decision regarding selection is done by the Selection Committee composed of 50 researchers from various disciplines.
- They vote on the Humboldt Research Fellowship applications.
Applications are REJECTED due to lack of publications, lack of independent academic work, lack of originality, personal profile, and academic achievements. In the event of rejection of the application, the candidate can mail and ask for the reason for rejection. Rejected applicants can re-apply only after a period of 18 months.
The eligibility for the Humboldt Research Fellowship is determine on the basis of various factors. Prospective fellowship applicants must ensure that they fulfill all these requirements:
- Applicants must have completed a doctorate or equivalent academic degree (Ph.D., C. Sc. or equivalent) in less than four years before the application date.
- Those expecting to complete their doctorate in the next six months can apply by submitting a manuscript of their dissertation or publication.
- Academic Publications
- The academic publications of the candidate will be reviewed in accordance with international standards and must be printed in the journal by publishing houses only.
Confirmation of Available Research Facilities
- Applicants must submit confirmation showing that research facilities are available to them. Also, the mentoring agreement and expert’s report have to be submitted by an academic host/ university to study in Germany.
- A doctoral supervisor and an academically qualified supervisor must provide reviews with detailed comments.
- The comments must also mention something about eligibility and should be written by a person other than someone working at the candidate’s institution.
- Applicants from the humanities, physics or social science background should have good language skills in German or English to perform their research successfully.
- Candidates who meet the above-mentioned criteria must also ensure that they have stayed outside Germany for at least 12 months in the preceding 18 months from the date of application. German nationals can apply provided they have been relocated for work and residence in the 5 previous years.
- Recent and updated CV (2 pages max)
- Research outline (2 pages max)
- Complete list of publications
- List of selected key publications
- Doctoral certificate
- German language certificate
- Host’s statement and Confirmation of Research Facilities
- Two expert reviews
Also Check: Kinobi Scholarship
Application Procedure for Humboldt Research Fellowship 2022
- The applicant first visits the Humboldt website of the Humboldt Research Fellowship.
- On the homepage you have to click on the Apply Now button.
- A new page will appear on your desktop, where you have to create your account by entering the following details:
- After that click on the submit button.
How to login
- The applicant first visits the official website of the Humboldt Research Fellowship.
- The homepage of the website will open on the screen.
- Now from the homepage, go to the continuous application option.
- After that, click on to the login option.
- A new login form will open on the screen
- Enter the login details like username and password in the application form.
- Now click on the login option