The ICGEB Smart Fellowship 2023 is a prestigious program that provides opportunities for life sciences researchers to conduct research in a different ICGEB Member State research institution than their own. The fellowship aims to promote collaboration among researchers in ICGEB Member Countries, support the professional development of early-stage career scientists, and enhance research capabilities in the life sciences. The program provides fellowships for 3 to 9 months to young scientists who are at the beginning of their research careers, and preference is given to those who have obtained their Ph.D. degree within the last 5 years. Applicants must be actively working in a research institution and demonstrate scientific excellence in their proposed project, as well as potential benefits for both the home and host countries. The program encourages the use of the latest technology and facilities available in the receiving laboratory, which enhances the fellow’s skills and competencies.
Importance of ICGEB Smart Fellowship
The ICGEB Smart Fellowship is a highly beneficial program for life sciences researchers who are in the early stages of their careers. It provides opportunities for young scientists to conduct research in a different ICGEB Member State research institution than their own, promoting collaboration among researchers and enhancing research capabilities in the life sciences. The fellowship encourages the use of the latest technology and facilities available in the receiving laboratory, which helps fellows to improve their skills and competencies. The program also positively impacts the scientific community by providing an opportunity for fellows to gain valuable experience, expand their professional network, and develop their research skills in a supportive environment.
Also Read: Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship
Objective of ICGEB Smart Fellowship
The objective of the ICGEB Smart Fellowship is to provide opportunities for life sciences researchers in the early stages of their careers to conduct research in a different ICGEB Member State research institution than their own. The fellowship aims to promote collaboration among researchers in ICGEB Member Countries, support the professional development of early-stage career scientists, and enhance research capabilities in the life sciences. Through this program, the ICGEB seeks to improve the quality of scientific research and promote the development of new technologies and techniques in the life sciences. The fellowship encourages the use of the latest technology and facilities available in the receiving laboratory, which enhances the fellow’s skills and competencies. Additionally, the program seeks to foster collaboration among researchers from different regions, facilitating the exchange of knowledge and ideas.
The applicant must follow the following eligibility criteria in order to successfully apply for the scholarship opportunity:
- The SMART Fellowship program is open to scientists from ICGEB Member States who are in the early stages of their research careers.
- The program offers fellowships for 3 to 9 months to scientists who wish to conduct research at a different ICGEB Member State research institution than their own.
- The aim of the program is to promote collaboration among researchers in ICGEB Member Countries.
- In exceptional circumstances, mobility support to laboratories in Italy, India, and South Africa may be provided if the research activity proposed is not covered by one of the ICGEB laboratories in Trieste, New Delhi or Cape Town.
- There is no age limit for applicants, but preference is given to young scientists who are beginning their research careers.
- To be eligible, applicants must be registered for a PhD or have obtained their PhD degree within the last 5 years and be actively working in a research institution.
- SMART Fellowships are intended to support mobility between laboratories located in ICGEB Member States.
- Awards are not intended to extend visits begun under other programs, support participation in courses, workshops, or symposia, or serve as bridging fellowships between long-term stays funded by ICGEB or other organizations.
Benefits of ICGEB Smart Fellowship 2023 for life sciences researchers
The following benefits will be provided to the people who will apply for this fellowship program if they are life sciences researchers:
- The duration of the awards is between 3 to 9 months.
- The fellowship covers international economy return travel, health insurance, and subsistence for the fellow only.
- The monthly stipend ranges from US$ 800 to 1,500 based on local conditions in the receiving country and the seniority of the applicant.
- The receiving laboratory can receive a US$ 500 monthly bench fee based on the recommendation of the ICGEB Fellowships Committee.
- The fellowship stipend will pay by bank transfer directly to the fellow’s bank account, while the bench fee allocation is transferred to the receiving laboratory upon joining.
- The receiving laboratory is responsible for managing the funds and certifying expenditures to ICGEB, ensuring adequate provisions for the specific research project.
- ICGEB does not provide financial or administrative support for family members of program participants.
Also Check: Echoing Green Fellowship
How to Apply for Fellowship 2023?
The applicants request to follow the following application procedure in order to successfully apply for this scholarship:
- You will first have to visit the official website of the fellowship by clicking on the link given here
- The details related to the fellowship will open on your screen
- You have to read the details carefully
- Now you have to click on the apply button.
- The candidates can now sign in by entering important information about themselves and you can fill out the application form accordingly.
- Prepare a complete application package including the application form, project proposal, two letters of recommendation, and a letter of acceptance from the host laboratory.
- Submit the application package online through the ICGEB website by the deadline.
- Keep track of the application status and any updates by regularly checking the application portal.
- If selected, follow the instructions provided by ICGEB to prepare for the fellowship.
Please note that you will request to upload the following documents (pdf files):
- (i) Your full CV
- (ii) The full CV of the Head of the Receiving Laboratory (complete with a list of publications)
- (iii) A valid identification document (passport or identity card). Recommended passport validity should be 12 months at least.
The applicants request to follow the following selection procedure in order to successfully apply for this fellowship program:
- The ICGEB Fellowships Selection Committee will assess all complete applications received by the deadline.
- Applicants will inform of the outcome by email shortly after the closing date.
- The main selection criteria are the scientific excellence of the project, the candidate’s CV, the potential impact on their career, and the potential benefits for both the home and host countries.
- Other factors considered include the candidate’s competence, skills, and the equipment available in the receiving laboratory.
- The receiving institute’s additional support for the fellow’s living expenses, such as direct contribution or guest house accommodation, will positively evaluate by ICGEB.
Provide tips for crafting a successful application for ICGEB Smart Fellowship 2023
Crafting a successful application for the ICGEB Smart Fellowship 2023 requires careful planning and attention to detail. Below are some tips to help applicants increase their chances of getting selection:
- Carefully read and follow the application guidelines provided by ICGEB. This includes understanding the eligibility criteria, required documents, and submission deadlines.
- Develop a clear and well-structured project proposal that outlines the research objectives, methodology, and potential impact. The proposal should be feasible and align with the host laboratory’s research interests.
- Obtain a letter of acceptance from the host laboratory that confirms their willingness to host the applicant and support their research activities.
- Select referees who are familiar with the applicant’s research work and can provide strong letters of recommendation. These referees should be able to highlight the applicant’s academic achievements, research potential, and personal qualities.
- Provide evidence of academic excellence, including a strong academic record, publications, awards, and any relevant research experience.
- Demonstrate the potential impact of the research project and how it aligns with the mission of ICGEB to promote international cooperation and development in the life sciences.
- Pay close attention to the application form, making sure to provide accurate and up-to-date information.
- Proofread the application package carefully, ensuring that it is well-written, free from errors, and formatted according to the guidelines.
The ICGEB Smart Fellowship 2023 is an excellent opportunity for early-career scientists to undertake research in an international setting and gain valuable experience. Applicants should carefully read and follow the application guidelines, develop a clear project proposal, provide evidence of academic excellence, and demonstrate the potential impact of their research project. By doing so, they can increase their chances of being selected for this prestigious fellowship.
- Email: email@example.com
ICGEB Smart Fellowship 2023 FAQs
The fellowship is open to nationals of the ICGEB Member States who hold an MSc or equivalent and are either registered for a Ph.D. or have obtained their Ph.D. degree within the last 5 years.
The fellowship is for a minimum of 3 to a maximum of 9 months.
The fellowship covers international economy return travel, health insurance, and a stipend ranging from US$ 800 to 1,500 per month according to local conditions in the receiving country and the seniority of the applicant. Additionally, a US$ 500 monthly bench fee can be paid directly to the receiving laboratory on the recommendation of the ICGEB Fellowships Committee.
The deadline for submission of online applications is April 30, 2023.
Applications are evaluated by the ICGEB Fellowships Selection Committee based on the scientific excellence of the project, the qualities of the candidate’s CV and the impact on their career, the potential benefit for the home and host country, competence, skills, and equipment available in the receiving laboratory.