The ICGEB Smart Fellowship Program was created to provide opportunities to researchers who want to conduct research in different institutes presented by the ICGEB member state research community. Through the fellowship, program collaboration will be possible between the researchers and the different countries which are members of this community. People who want to become scientists in the future can apply for the opportunity and they will be able to enhance their research capability. The duration for the fellowship program is up to 9 months for the scientist who had still beginning their research career and preference will be given to the people who have completed their Ph.D. within the last 5 years. The applicant must be actively working in a research institute and the academic record of the applicant must be very impressive in order to be a part of this program.
Importance of ICGEB Smart Fellowship
The ICGEB Smart Fellowship will be very beneficial for people who are still starting their careers as a scientist because they do not have important information about being a scientist so this fellowship program will provide them with important information and resources that are necessary. The program will be promoting collaboration between the researchers and also the countries with proper resources so that the researchers can get the resources to them. The fellowship program will be encouraging the use of the latest technology and facility which is otherwise not available in the home country of the researcher and they have fewer opportunities because they are coming from a developing country. The scientific community will be positively impacted through the development of this Fellowship and this collaboration will be working towards a better country and a better people.
Also Read: Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship
Objective of ICGEB Smart Fellowship
The objective of the ICGEB Smart Fellowship Is to help the researchers who are still not able to continue their research even after numerous practices because they do not have the funds in order to complete their research. The fellowship program will also help the researcher to live their life without having to worry about the economic conditions in which they are living and it will highly impact does living standard of scientists in India. There will be new technology and techniques that the people will be able to undertake through the development of this scheme because they will be collaborating with other countries that are much more developed than our country. The main objective of the scheme is to provide opportunities to the people who are not able to get them because of the resources that are not available to them.
The applicant must follow the following eligibility criteria in order to successfully apply for the scholarship opportunity:
- The SMART Fellowship program is open to scientists from ICGEB Member States who are in the early stages of their research careers.
- The program offers fellowships for 3 to 9 months to scientists who wish to conduct research at a different ICGEB Member State research institution than their own.
- The aim of the program is to promote collaboration among researchers in ICGEB Member Countries.
- In exceptional circumstances, mobility support to laboratories in Italy, India, and South Africa may be provided if the research activity proposed is not covered by one of the ICGEB laboratories in Trieste, New Delhi or Cape Town.
- There is no age limit for applicants, but preference is given to young scientists who are beginning their research careers.
- To be eligible, applicants must be registered for a PhD or have obtained their PhD degree within the last 5 years and be actively working in a research institution.
- SMART Fellowships are intended to support mobility between laboratories located in ICGEB Member States.
- Awards are not intended to extend visits begun under other programs, support participation in courses, workshops, or symposia, or serve as bridging fellowships between long-term stays funded by ICGEB or other organizations.
Benefits of ICGEB Smart Fellowship 2023 for life sciences researchers
The following benefits will be provided to the people who will apply for this fellowship program if they are life sciences researchers:
- The duration of the awards is between 3 to 9 months.
- The fellowship covers international economy return travel, health insurance, and subsistence for the fellow only.
- The monthly stipend ranges from US$ 800 to 1,500 based on local conditions in the receiving country and the seniority of the applicant.
- The receiving laboratory can receive a US$ 500 monthly bench fee based on the recommendation of the ICGEB Fellowships Committee.
- The fellowship stipend will pay by bank transfer directly to the fellow’s bank account, while the bench fee allocation is transferred to the receiving laboratory upon joining.
- The receiving laboratory is responsible for managing the funds and certifying expenditures to ICGEB, ensuring adequate provisions for the specific research project.
- ICGEB does not provide financial or administrative support for family members of program participants.
Also Check: Echoing Green Fellowship
How to Apply for Fellowship 2023?
The applicants request to follow the following application procedure in order to successfully apply for this scholarship:
- You will first have to visit the ICGEB website of the fellowship by clicking on the link given here
- The details related to the fellowship will open on your screen
- You have to read the details carefully
- Now you have to click on the apply button.
- The candidates can now sign in by entering important information about themselves and you can fill out the application form accordingly.
- Prepare a complete application package including the application form, project proposal, two letters of recommendation, and a letter of acceptance from the host laboratory.
- Submit the application package online through the ICGEB website by the deadline.
- Keep track of the application status and any updates by regularly checking the application portal.
- If selected, follow the instructions provided by ICGEB to prepare for the fellowship.
Please note that you will request to upload the following documents (pdf files):
- (i) Your full CV
- (ii) The full CV of the Head of the Receiving Laboratory (complete with a list of publications)
- (iii) A valid identification document (passport or identity card). Recommended passport validity should be 12 months at least.
The applicants request to follow the following selection procedure in order to successfully apply for this fellowship program:
- The ICGEB Fellowships Selection Committee will assess all complete applications received by the deadline.
- Applicants will inform of the outcome by email shortly after the closing date.
- The main selection criteria are the scientific excellence of the project, the candidate’s CV, the potential impact on their career, and the potential benefits for both the home and host countries.
- Other factors considered include the candidate’s competence, skills, and the equipment available in the receiving laboratory.
- The receiving institute’s additional support for the fellow’s living expenses, such as direct contribution or guest house accommodation, will positively evaluate by ICGEB.
Tips for Crafting a Successful Application for ICGEB Smart Fellowship
If you want to craft a successful application for the fellowship then you will have to follow the simple procedure given below:
- The applicant must follow the eligibility criteria provided by the organization and fill out the application form only after that.
- The applicant must craft a very detailed project proposal if they want their project to be selected by the organization and it must have a potential impact on the people.
- The applicants are requested to obtain a letter of acceptance from the host laboratory and confirm that they are working in that laboratory.
- Make sure that you have references for your work experience and all the other things that you are mentioning in your application. Make sure that you are highlighting your achievements including your Personal qualities and the awards that you have won so far.
- The applicants are required to submit important documents with their application form in order to prove the things that they have written in the application form.
- The applicants must submit the proposal making sure that they have highlighted the impact that they will be making to society if they are selected for this fellowship program.
- The applicants are requested to review and edit the application form according to the things that they have mentioned. Make sure that you do not have any grammatical errors in the application form.
ICGEB Smart Fellowship 2023 is a very prestigious fellowship program that is available for people who have just started their research career but they do not have the resources to complete the career. The people will be participating in this program along with other countries so this collaboration will be highly successful.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ICGEB Smart Fellowship 2023 FAQs
The applicant must be a national of the ICGEB Member States. The applicant must hold an MSc degree or must have taken a Ph.D. degree within the last 5 years.
The fellowship will provide international economy return travel and health insurance. A stipend ranging from US$ 800 to 1,500 per month according to local conditions in the receiving country and the seniority of the applicant. Additionally, a US$ 500 monthly bench fee can be paid directly to the receiving laboratory based on the recommendation of the ICGEB Fellowships Committee.
The deadline for submission of online applications is April 30, 2023.
ICGEB Fellowships Selection Committee will select you based on the scientific excellence of the project, your qualities and the impact on your career. The potential benefit for the home and host country, competence, skills, and equipment available in the receiving laboratory will also be considered.