If we talk about Urbanization, it is simply migration of people from small rural areas to urban cities where the economic activity is dependent on industries and companies. The migration has been happening for the past 1000 years and around 800 million have migrated. It has two sides, one is that it will increase employment for the youngsters and increase the economic development but besides that improper settlement of all humans which will be creating inequality, severe poverty and environmental destruction. To understand these problems the Indian Institute for Human Settlement introduced IIHS Urban Fellows Programme (UFP) 2023 for the graduate students. The fellow programme is held at the main campus of IIHS in Bengaluru. The IIHS Urban Fellows Programme (UFP) 2023 will be of 9 months, which contain 7 months of classroom teaching and 2 months of field work.
About IIHS Foundation
The Indian Institute for Human Settlement is an Indian institution based in Bengaluru India. The IIHS Foundation was founded in 2009 as a national education, research and practice institution. The IIHS work under the topic of Urban Transition or Urbanization which mainly focuses on the Human settlement in urban areas from rural. The institution focused on the need of the country for the proper development and the experts who understand the complexities of transforming settlements from rural to urban areas. The IIHS Foundation launched urban missions in 2015 which include Smart Cities, AMRUT, PMAY, HRIDAY and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. All these programmes run with a motive of settling the urban cities and preventing it from environmental degradation, building collapse, excess population, improper distribution of resources and many more.
Also Read: The Thiel Fellowship
Objective of IIHS Urban Fellows Programme (UFP) 2023
The Urban Fellows Programme was launched by the IIHS Institution to focus on the Urbanization of India. Urbanization is responsible for the alteration of our economy, culture, society, external and internal environment and politics. To overcome all these issues the Urban Fellows Programme (UFP) is introduced in which the graduated students will be selected to observe all the urban transition issues deeply and tackle the problem smartly. Here the students get an opportunity to do field work, site based learning, live projects and encounter the fellows with the diverse form of urbanization. All the selected students will receive an amount of incentive for their work to encourage and motivate them.
Here we provide a list of criteria required before the registration under the Urban Fellow Programme:
- The fellow must be a permanent resident of India.
- You must complete your graduation from any qualified subject.
- The age of the fellow should not exceed 30 years. It will be in between 18 to 30 years.
- Applicants must be fluent in reading or speaking the English language.
Benefits of IIHS Urban Fellows Programme (UFP) 2023
Selected candidates will be receiving the following benefits under the fellow programme:
- All the fellows who are selected under the Programme will be receiving an amount of incentive which is Rs. 2,30,000 for the duration of programme.
- The fellows will receive this amount in total 3 instalments.
- The incentive will cover all the expenses of the Urban Fellow Programme which include: The travelling expenses under the city or out of station for the research work.
- At the time of admission under the UFP all the fellows will be required to submit Rs. 20,000 as a seat booking, which will be returned to you after the proper completion of the fellowship programme.
- If any of the candidates is not able to pay the seat reservation fees, then there will be some fee concession for them. How much fee relief they get, will totally depend on the financial condition of the applicant family.
- Candidates will also get financial assistance which covers their day to day expenses.
- Applicants need to submit their personal statement and essay which cover a total of 3 short essay questions. All the questions are necessary to be completed.
- The first essay will cover the reason for applying under the fellows programme and how much they are interested in UFP and its components. ( It will cover 200 words)
- Second essay will cover the applicant’s experiences and how they influenced their interest in the Urban. ( It will cover 200 words)
- And the third essay will cover one of the five problem provided and their solution.( It will contain 400 words)
- Applicants need to submit an audio visual in support of their application.
- If you want to provide any additional information to support your application then cover it in 200 words.
The selection of the candidates will depend on the basis of the given interview, written application and the given eligibility criteria.
- The last date for the registration under the UFP is 24th of April 2023.
- The next session for the fellowship will start from August 2023 and end in May 2024.
Also Check: ICGEB Smart Fellowship
Application Procedure for IIHS Urban Fellows Programme 2023
Applicants need to follow the given steps for the registration before the deadline:
- The homepage will appear on your screen.
- Here you have to click on the Apply Now under the Urban Fellow Programme section.
- Now a new page will appear on your screen, where you have to choose the New Registration option.
- After that the application page will appear on your screen. Here you have to enter the following details
- First Name
- Last Name
- Date of birth
- E-mail address
- And create a password
- After completing all these steps you have to click on the register button.
- Now attach all the required documents to complete your application from.
Terms & Conditions
- The candidates who have OCI cards are not able to do their registration under the fellowship.
- All the selected candidates provided the list of services offered at the shared accommodation as well as the terms of residency.
- Medical insurance given by the IIHS to the selected candidates will not cover any additional shopping, dining out, medical charges.
- All the candidates will avail the pick up and drop services from their place to the campus at a fixed time. No candidate allowed to do late entry.
- The candidates who are not able to pay their programme tuition fees, will be able to receive scholarships by the UFP.
- Selection and admission of candidates will not depend on their ability to pay.
- IIHS, Bengaluru City Campus
- No. 197/36, 2nd Main Road
- Bengaluru 560 080
- Karnataka, India
IIHS Urban Fellows Programme FAQs
The candidate must be a graduate from any subject.
All the fellows who are selected under the Programme will be receiving an amount of incentive which is Rs. 2,30,000 for the duration of programme.
The aim of the fellowship to motivate the fellows to tackle the problems of urbanisation.