Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research launches SCAR Antarctic Fellowship 2023 for early career researchers. The fellowship will offer in total four to five fellowships of up to USD $15,000 each for 2022. The details for the SCAR scheme will be similar to the previous year but with the opportunity for applicants to propose partially or entirely remote fellowships to reflect the impact of covid-19 related travel restrictions. Under the program, more than 60 SCAR Fellowships have been awarded. The deadline for the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research fellowship application is 31st August 2022. If you want to get more information about this scholarship, then this article will provide you with each and every detail about its objective, benefits, eligibility criteria, important documents, application procedure, and much more.
What Is SCAR Antarctic Fellowship 2023?
The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research initiated the SCAR Fellowship program in 2002. The SCAR program is designed to encourage the active involvement of early career researchers in furthering our understanding of Antarctica. The fellowship enables only career services to join a project team from another country opening up new opportunities and often creating partnerships that last many years and over Antarctica search this season. The SCAR Fellowship Programme is mainly for Ph.D. students, or those within five years of having completed a Ph.D., to undertake research at major international laboratories, field facilities, and institutes in or operated by SCAR member countries with the goal of exposing them to recent advancements in research and to develop long-term scientific link and partnership.
Also Check: Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship
Key highlights of SCAR Antarctic Fellowship
|Conducted by||Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research|
|Name of fellowship||SCAR Antarctic Fellowship 2023|
|Objective||To encourage the active involvement of early career researchers|
|Benefits||Up to USD $15,000 per award|
|Eligibility criteria||The Ph.D. degree holder|
Objective of SCAR Antarctic Fellowship
The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research fellowship was started in 2002 with the aim to encourage the active involvement of early career researchers in Antarctic Scientific Research and build new connections and further strengthen international capacity and cooperation in Antarctica Research.
Benefits of SCAR Antarctic Fellowship
The Researchers who are selected under SCAR Antarctic Fellowship will get multiple benefits given below:
- SCAR Fellowship will offer in total four to five fellowships of up to USD $15,000 each for 2022.
- The fellows will get up to 3 to 4 awards.
- Home Institute to bear the in-home country costs (e.g. visa costs, domestic travel).
- Host institute to waive bench fees if any.
The interested candidates who want to apply under the Antarctic fellowship must fulfill the given eligibility criteria:
- Current Ph.D. researcher or within 5 years of finishing Ph.D.
- Visiting a facility in or run by a SCAR member country, which is different from applicants’
- country of origin and
- country of residence.
- Should contribute to the objectives of one or more of the SCAR Science groups, including the humanities and social science groups, and scientific research programmes.
Evaluation for SCAR Antarctic Fellowship
This will be based on a series of 5 categories, with the following guidance included for potential applicants:
- Quality of the proposal: (35%) – This section will evaluate the overall quality of the proposal with respect to the proposed research and methodology. This will be based primarily on your research proposal and the evidence you provide for its importance, timeliness and how well both your own background and the expertise of the host institute contribute to the proposal.
- Relevance to SCAR and COMNAP activities and/or Groups: (25%) – How does the research you are proposing fit in with the existing research activities of SCAR Groups and Programmes and COMNAP science support efforts? How will you follow up with these activities after the Fellowship ends?
- Does the proposal help build capacity in a country that would most benefit?: (20%) – What specific benefits will you as a Fellow, and your home institute, gain from the Fellowship? Do you plan to have specific Outreach activities at your home institute or elsewhere in your home country to communicate the results and experience of your Fellowship?
- Is the study largely self contained?: (10%) – Has the proposal made it clear that the planned research is well thought through and has a data plan in place agreed with the host institute?
- Is the study feasible in the time estimated and will it likely lead to publication?: (10%) – Your proposal needs to make clear that you have considered the practicalities involved in undertaking the research and that there are clear deliverables that can be achieved.
The last date to apply under SCAR Antarctic Fellowship 2023 will update soon.
Application Package Contents
- Research proposal
- Home Institute agreement and reference
- Host Institute agreement
- Guidance on elements of the application
- Guidance on the valuation process
Also Check: Twitter EMEA Public Policy Fellowship
Application Procedure for SCAR Antarctic Scholarship 2023
- The interested candidates first visit the SCAR website of SCAR Antarctic scholarship 2023.
- The home page will appear on my screen where you have to click on the SCAR Antarctic Scholarship link.
- After that the application form will appear on your screen where you have to fill in your details and upload the required documents.
- After filling all the information correctly click on the submit button for the final submission of the application form.
- Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research,
- Scott Polar Research Institute,
- University of Cambridge,
- Lensfield Road,
- Cambridge, CB2 1ER, United Kingdom
- Tel: +44 1223 336550