SERB International Research Experience Fellowship (SIRE) experience (SIRE)” has been launch by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), a statutory entity under the Department of Science and Technology of the Government of India. The Board’s primary and distinct mandate is to promote basic research in Science and Engineering and to provide financial assistance to persons engaged in such research, academic institutions, research and development laboratories, industrial concerns, and other agencies for such research and for matters connected with or incidental thereto.
SERB seeks to create optimal management systems that are aligned with the best worldwide standards in basic research promotion and finance. The application for the SERB International Research Experience (SIRE) Program can be filed online through the SERB portal. In this post, we cover major points about the fellowship, its objective, Benefits, Eligibility Criteria, and much more.
SERB International Research Experience Fellowship
“SERB International Research Experience Fellowship (SIRE)” has been launched by India’s Department of Science and Technology. This program intends to provide high-level research training in frontier areas of science and technology that are of interest to India by allowing participants to attend premier institutions/universities around the world for a period of two to six months. The applicant must hold a Ph.D. in Science or Engineering from one of India’s approved universities. Applicants with a permanent post in a research institution in India are eligible to apply.
The maximum age to apply for this scheme is 40 years old. In the case of SC/ST/OBC/physically challenge and female applicants, age relaxation would be granted according to GoI guidelines. The candidate should contact the proposed host institution for their visit under this program directly. The candidate should additionally provide a letter from the host approving the study plan.
Key Highlights of SERB International Research Experience Fellowship
|Conducted by||Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)|
|Name of Fellowship||SERB International Research Experience Fellowship|
|Objective||To build national capacity in frontier areas of Science and Technology by providing opportunities|
|Benefits||A monthly fellowship amount|
|Eligibility Criteria||The applicant should have a Ph.D. degree in the area of Science and Engineering|
Objective of SERB International Research Experience Fellowship
- This program intends to provide high-level research training in frontier areas of science and technology that are of interest to India by allowing participants to attend premier institutions/universities around the world for a period of two to six months.
- SIRE fellows will gain international R&D experience to help enhance national capacity in frontier areas of science and technology.
- SIRE fellows’ skills will be used to strengthen/start national programs in their domain knowledge.
- Encourage research in key areas that have yet to be fully investigate in the Indian context.
Benefits of SERB International Research Experience Fellowship
The selected fellows will receive a monthly fellowship equivalent to US $ 3000, as well as a one-time contingency / preparatory allowance of Rs. 75,000/- to cover visa fees, airport transfer charges, insurance, and other expenses, and Rs. 20,000/- in Overseas Medical Insurance in India and abroad. The selected fellows will also be given economy class flight travel from their place of employment in India to the host institute and return.
- Only Indian citizens are eligible for the scheme.
- Along with the application, applicants must provide a letter of support from the overseas host institution.
- The maximum age to apply for this scheme is 40 years old (as of the date of submission of application). Applicants from the SC/ ST/ OBC/ physically challenged and women category will receive a 5-year age reduction.
- Applicants must have earned a Ph.D. in Science or Engineering from a recognized Indian institution. The applicant must be employ full-time in a research or academic institution in India.
- Bio-data of applicant
- Bio-data of Overseas Host Scientist
- Consent letter from the host
- Research Plan.
- Plagiarism undertaking
- Certificate from Applicant.
- Endorsement Letter from the Head of Institution.
- Age Proof Certificate (Class X mark sheet or Birth certificate)
- Category Certificate
The faculty members who had their research plans approve by overseas institutions would be chosen. The board will continue to pick candidates through a selection committee. The proposed date for the SIRE initial call research announcement is April 15, 2022. However, due to the covid-19 scenario, the date of the result announcement may change in the future.
Application Procedure for SERB International Research Experience Fellowship
- Applicants first need to visit the official website of the SARB International Research Experience Fellowship.
- Now you have to click on the New User tab if you don’t have a login account.
- The station screen where you have to enter your details such as-
- Users Email ID
- Confirm password
- Name of Applicant
- Date of Birth
- Mobile Number
- Identity proof details
- After filling in all the details click on the submit button.
- A confirmation email will be sent to the user’s register email address after a successful registration. To confirm the registration, the user must click on the URL provided in the email.
- After logging in, candidates must complete all mandatory fields in the profile details area of the user profile, which include biodata, photo, and institute address, among others.
- Qualifications, research experience, fellowships, jobs, patents, publications, projects, and research collaborations are all required details.
- At the time of submission, you must submit certain facts about your proposed work, such as the title, keyword, projected output and outcome, and probable visit dates, among other things.
- The research proposal must be suppli as a single PDF file that is no more than 10 MB in size.
Guidelines for SERB International Research Experience Fellowship (SIRE)
- Only when a call for proposal is issued is an application for consideration under the SERB International Research Experience (SIRE) Program be submit using the SERB online portal www.serbonline.in.
- The applicant must submit an application in the approved manner through an online portal.
- The maximum period of an overseas visit is six months.
- For scientists/researchers in regular employment, the organization/ institution/ university to which the fellow belongs will continue to apply their institutional standards controlling payment of salary, leave, medical, gratuity, GPF, and pension, among other things. SERB will not be held liable for any of them.
- Candidates chosen for this program must begin their research in an overseas university within three months of receiving the offer letter; otherwise, the offer will be automatically revoked, and no further correspondence will be receive.
- The candidate must provide an endorsement letter signed by the head of the organization or institute where they work.
- The candidate must also provide a letter from the host approving the study plan.
- Copy of the host institution’s acceptance letter.
- Member Secretary
- Dr. Arvind Chaudhary , Scientist ‘D’
- Tel: +91-011- 26511035
- Email: arvind[at]serb[dot]gov[dot]in
- Program Coordinator
- Dr. Praveen Kumar S, Scientist ‘F’
- Email: praveen[at]nic[dot]in