A new scholarship scheme is presented by the Prime Minister of our country to help people successfully complete their Ph.D. programs if they are not able to do so because of poverty or any other family reasons. You can now apply for the Prime Minister Research Fellowship by going to the official website of the organization. Today, we are sharing various details regarding the PMRF program including the eligibility criteria and the step-by-step application procedure.
About Prime Minister Research Fellowship
Prime Minister Research Fellowship will be helping the people who are not able to complete their Ph.D. programs because of the unavailability of adequate funds. You can now apply for the fellowship program by going to the official portal created by the Government of India to carry on all of the procedures related to this fellowship program. A large number of benefits are available to the beneficiaries who will apply for this program.
Details Of PM Research Fellowship
|Name||Prime Minister Research Fellowship|
|Launched by||Government of India|
|Beneficiaries||Students of India|
PMRF Important Dates
|Last date to apply online||July|
|PMRF deadline for direct entry||Similar to the deadlines of Ph.D. applications at PMRF granting institutions|
|PMRF deadline for lateral entry||Within 12 months of joining Ph.D. (for master’s degree holders) Within 24 months of joining Ph.D. (for bachelor’s degree holders)|
Also Check: National Fellowship for OBC
PMRF Eligibility Criteria
To apply for the scholarship scheme you will have to follow the simple procedure given below:-
For PMRF Eligibility – Direct Entry Channel
- The applicants should adhere to the following eligibility conditions to apply for the PMRF through Direct Entry Channel.
- They must be pursuing or completed the final year of a Bachelor’s or Master’s or dual degree in Science and Technology streams from IISc/IITs/NITs/IISERs/IIEST with CGPA/CPI of 8.0 or above on a 10-point scale, OR
- They must be pursuing or completed the final year of a Bachelor’s or Master’s or dual degree in Science and Technology streams from any other recognized Indian university/institution (not covered in the above point) with a CGPA of 8.0 or equivalent and a minimum score of 650 in respective GATE subject, OR
- The students must have qualified GATE and be pursuing or have completed M.Tech./MS by Research at one of the PMRF Granting Institutes having a minimum CGPA or CPI of 8.0 (on a 10-point scale) or above at the end of the first semester with a minimum of four courses.
- They must apply and get selected in the PhD programme in one of the PMRF granting institutes.
PMRF Eligibility – Lateral Entry Channel
- The applicants are required to adhere to the following eligibility conditions to apply for the PMRF through Lateral Entry Channel.
- They must be pursuing a PhD in one of the PMRF granting institutions.
- The students who have joined the PhD program with a master’s programme should have completed at most 12 months in the Ph.D. programme.
- The students who have joined the Ph.D. programme with a bachelor’s degree should have completed at most 24 months in the Ph.D. programme.
- They are required to have completed at least four courses in the Ph.D. programme (each of which should be a full-semester course) with CGPA of 8.5 or above on a 10-point scale.
- A candidate can be considered at most twice for the fellowship through a lateral entry channel.
Also Check: Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship
Benefit Of Prime Minister Research Fellowship
The benefits of fellowship are as follows:
- The applicants will be offered admission to the Ph.D. programme in one of the IISc/IISERs/IITs/NITs/Central Universities.
- The PMRF also offers suitable financial assistance to students that include a fellowship of INR 70,000 per month for the first two years, INR 75,000 per month for the 3rd year, and INR 80,000 per month in the 4th and 5th year.
- There will be a rigorous examination of the performance of Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship holders and continuation of the next year fellowship shall be contingent upon successful assessment.
- The students who are selected for the PMRF will receive the following fellowship award-
|Year||Scholarship Amount (INR)|
- The selected fellows are also eligible for a research grant of INR 2 lakh per annum (total amount of INR 10 lakh).
- The tenure of the fellowship is four years for students from integrated courses and five years for B. Tech. students.
- For students selected through the lateral entry channel, the fellowship and its obligations will continue only for the remaining doctoral programme.
Also Check: Post-Doctoral Fellowship to SC/ST Candidates
Features Of Prime Minister Research Fellowship
This scholarship scheme will have the following features:-
- Admission under the PMRF will be made in 19 broad disciplines.
- For each broad discipline, one IIT or IISc will coordinate the admission process and will be referred to as the Nodal Institute for that broad discipline.
- 19 Broad Discipline covered in the fellowship program are-
- Aerospace Engineering
- Agriculture and Food Engineering
- Biological Sciences
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Design
- Interdisciplinary Programs in Science and Engineering
- Material Science and Metallurgical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining, Mineral, Coal and Energy Sector
- Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture
- Textile Engineering
PMRF List Of Host Institutions
The following host institutions will host the candidates for the Ph.D. program:-
- IISc Bangalore
- All IITs
- All IISERs
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Tiruchirappalli
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU)
- University of Hyderabad
- Aligarh Muslim University (AMU)
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- The University of Delhi (DU)
The applicant must have the following documents to apply for the fellowship:
- Passport size photograph
- Scanned copy of mark sheets/grade sheets/transcripts
- Scanned copy of GATE qualifying certificate
- Abstract copy (max 1,000 words in a PDF file)
- CV limited to two A4 pages and submitted only in pdf format. The CV should emphasize only academic achievements and skills, e.g. ranks, merit certificates, internships, publications, research-related software skills, etc.
PMRF Selection Process
The selection procedure for PMRF Scheme is as follows:
- The selection will also be made through two channels i.e. Direct Entry Channel and Lateral Entry Channel.
- Under the direct entry channel, the granting institution, where the candidate has been admitted, will strongly recommend candidates keeping in mind their merit.
- The final selection will make on the basis of the following factors –
- Research exposure
- Performance in international academic competitions
- Recommendation letters
- Furthermore, under the lateral entry channel, the granting institution, where the candidate has been admitted, will strongly recommend the candidates on the basis of merit demonstrated by him/her during the first 12-24 months (as relevant) of the program.
- The final selection will be made on the basis of the following metrics –
- Strength of the research proposal
- Publications record
Terms and Conditions
The applicant must follow the following terms and conditions to apply for the scholarship:-
- Each fellow will be given deliverables to be achieved each year at the time of joining. The deliverables will be decided by the assigned guide and the department which the fellow is joining.
- To continue receiving the fellowship, the fellows are required to undergo an annual review. If their performance is found satisfactory by the review committee, the fellowship will continue.
- The process of review is rigorous and thus can be done in the form of a national convention (for each discipline).
- Each fellow is expected to teach once a week in a nearby Polytechnic/ ITI/ Engineering College as per the modalities approved by the Government.
- In case, the fellows fail to achieve the deliverables, the fellowship could be brought down to institutional level fellowship or even discontinued.
The applicant will have to pay the following application fees in this scholarship scheme:-
- Rupees 10000 through State Bank of India collection page
Prime Minister Research Fellowship Application Procedure 2023
To apply for the scholarship you will have to follow the simple procedure given below:-
- Click on the link given here to go to the Official Webpage of the scholarship
- The homepage of the scholarship will open on your screen
- The information regarding the scholarship will open on your screen
- Now you have to click on the apply online button
- A new page will open on your screen
- The application form will open on your screen
- You have to enter all of the necessary details
- Upload all of the documents
- Pay your application fees
- Upload the fee receipt
- Successfully, submit the form
- Also, take a printout of the application form
- You must check the eligibility before applying for the fellowship.
- Do not wait for the last date to apply for the fellowship.
- You must have a valid native mobile number.
- You must have a valid and active email ID.
- Keep all the documents ready before applying for the fellowship.
- Avoid using mobile phones for the Online submission of the application forms.
- Prefer using laptop or desktop for the Online submission of the application form.
- Check the application form carefully before final submission.
- Email ID firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Toll Free Number: 044-22578079
- Address: Indian Institute of Technology Madras, IIT P.O., Chennai, Tamil Nadu – 600 036, INDIA.